A curious blending of simple flavours with fresh ingredients on the island of Phu Quoc, Vietnam.
Restaurant Name: Quan Ra Koi – Quán Ra Khơi
Address: 131 30 Tháng 4, Dương Đông, Phú Quốc tỉnh Kiên Giang, Vietnam
Note: This is an independent restaurant review based on my experience.
Back in town after a morning of adventuring, hunger overwhelmed us and we went in search of Vietnamese Food. One thing is usually a guarantee, drive or walk around until you see a restaurant filled with locals. This is where you want to eat!
As we trawled the streets on our moped, Quan Ra Koi came into view. It was packed with locals so we decided this is the place for authentic cuisine. We parked out front on the sidewalk, walked in and found ourselves a seat. Based on all the shocked and smiling stares, I do not think they are used to foreigners.
At first we were politely ignored, but we did not take insult as this usually means they spotted the foreigner and nobody working can speak any other language than Vietnamese. After checking out the rows of fish tanks filled with live seafood delights, we waved one of the waiters over.
With lots of pointing and smiles, we managed to place our order of Shrimps, Scallops, Greens, Rice and 2 beers.
– The grilled Shrimps came with a side of salt chili and *lime which did a fantastic job of enhancing the bbq flavours with a gentle spicy pop.
– The Scallops were layered alternatively with Okra on a wooden skewer, barbecued and served with a pepper sugar mix and *lime.
– The Greens, (maybe bok choy?) were steamed in a garlic oyster sauce with an extra side of sauce.
– The steamed rice never arrived – lost in translation?!
– Our beer choices were Bivina for my husband and a Tiger Crystal for me – I saw that was what all the women were drinking!
The food was incredibly delicious, and we had already decided we must come back. The total price was a bit of a shock; expensive when compared with other places, but the locals eat here, so there must be a reason. I am guessing super fresh food with great blending of flavours.
Total: 301.000 dong / €11.20 / USD$13.25
Links of Possible Interest:
→ Phu Quoc Island / Photos
…..⇒ Extreme Budget Tips – $10/day Phu Quoc
.….⇒ Stay: Gia Thanh Guest House
…..⇒ Eat: AceroLa Bar and Restaurant
…..⇒ Eat: Bia Ruou Restaurant & Micro brewery
…..⇒ Eat: Bun Cha Ha Noi / Bún Chả Hà Nội
…..⇒ Eat / Bar: Langchia Hostel & Bar
…..⇒ Eat: Quan An Mien Trung (at the night Market)
…..⇒ Eat: Quan Oc Binh Dan Restaurant
…..⇒ Eat / Bar: Rory’s Beach Bar
…..⇒ Eat: Thu Phuong Restaurant
Location: Asia > Southeast Asia > Vietnam > tỉnh Kiên Giang > Phu Quoc > Duong Dong > Quan Ra Koi / Quán Ra Khơi